Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your own Louisiana ancestors. Get going by building a Free Family Tree.
Vermilion Parish Quick Facts
- Government Website: vermilionparishpolicejury.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 25, 1844 from LaFayette Parish
- Parish Seat: Abbeville
- Named After: Both the Vermilion River and Vermilion Bay
- Bordering Parishes: Acadia Parish (
north), Lafayette Parish (northeast), Iberia Parish (east), Cameron Parish (west), Jefferson Davis Parish (northwest)
- Cities & Towns: Abbeville, Delcambre, Erath, Gueydan, Kaplan, Maurice
Vermilion Parish Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Vermilion Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Louisiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Vermilion Parish Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget the significance of Vermilion Parish court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Louisiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and worries of countless Louisiana people.
The chances are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the Vermilion Parish court records. Even if your forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will aid individuals in obtaining the resources, but it is up to the man or women to do the researching.
The below specifics denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and courtroom records are usually in Vermilion Parish. The dates indicated below are considered the first known documents with this parish. The Courthouse suffered a total records Loss in around 1885.
- Vermilion Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 100 N. State Street, Suite 101, Abbeville, LA 70510
- Phone: (337) 898-1992
- Marriage Records: 1885
- Land Records: 1885
- Probate Records: 1885
- Court Records: 1885
- Louisiana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Louisiana Historical Records
- Databases include Louisiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Louisiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Louisiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Louisiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Louisiana Obituary Records; Louisiana Military Records; Louisiana Family Tree Records; Louisiana Pictures; Louisiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Louisiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Vermilion Parish Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Vermilion Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Vermilion Parish genealogy or family history related sites.
Vermilion Parish LA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Vermilion Parish LA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Vermilion Parish LA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Vermilion Parish LA Census Records
Vermilion Parish LA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Vermilion Parish LA Church & Bible Records
Vermilion Parish LA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Vermilion Parish LA General and History Websites
Vermilion Parish LA Immigration & Naturalization
Vermilion Parish LA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Vermilion Parish LA Military Records
Vermilion Parish LA Schools & Directories