Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your own Louisiana ancestors. Get going by building a Free Family Tree.
Tangipahoa Parish Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.tangipahoa.org/
- Created Date / Origin: March 6, 1869 from Livingston Parish, St. Tammany Parish, St. Helena Parish and Washington Parish
- Parish Seat: Amite
- Named After: Comes from an Acolapissa word meaning ear of corn or those who gather corn
- Bordering Parishes: Amite County, MS (northwest), Pike County, MS (northeast), Washington Parish (east), St. Tammany Parish (east), St. John the Baptist Parish (south), Livingston Parish (west), St. Helena Parish (west)
- Cities & Towns: Amite City, Baptist, Hammond, Independence, Kentwood, Loranger, Manchac, Natalbany, Ponchatoula, Robert, Roseland, Tangipahoa, Tickfaw
Tangipahoa Parish Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tangipahoa Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Louisiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Tangipahoa Parish Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget the significance of Tangipahoa Parish court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Louisiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and worries of countless Louisiana people.
The chances are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the Tangipahoa Parish court records. Even if your forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will aid individuals in obtaining the resources, but it is up to the man or women to do the researching.
The below specifics denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and courtroom records are usually in Tangipahoa Parish. The dates indicated below are considered the first known documents with this parish.
- Tangipahoa Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 110 East Mulberry Street, Suite 100, Amite, LA 70422
- Phone: (985) 748-4146
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Land Records: 1869
- Probate Records: 1869
- Court Records: 1869
- Louisiana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Tangipahoa Parish Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Tangipahoa Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Tangipahoa Parish genealogy or family history related sites.
Tangipahoa Parish LA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tangipahoa Parish LA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tangipahoa Parish LA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tangipahoa Parish LA Census Records
Tangipahoa Parish LA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tangipahoa Parish LA Church & Bible Records
Tangipahoa Parish LA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tangipahoa Parish LA General and History Websites
Tangipahoa Parish LA Immigration & Naturalization
Tangipahoa Parish LA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tangipahoa Parish LA Military Records
Tangipahoa Parish LA Schools & Directories